Cron update works but update hangs.

2012-07-17 01:32:09Tags: cron,cron-job
My cron job is working (I removed the -q -O to see output), but when I go my dashboard, no data has been imported (or in database), even when I check an hour or two later. These are daily access logs for a low traffic site. I click Update Now, and get the pink box with "An Update process for 'SLG' is still marked as running..." I click Reset Status to import manually and it works fine. Log file parsing takes 5 seconds. I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting at this point as the cron works and I'm the only user. I don't see anything that relates to Logaholic in my error logs. I even tried the php cron and that doesn't work (I use the free, self-hosted edition). What to do next?

Answer:

This is indeed not how the update process should work.
While I investigate how to fix this you can try to use the following update url:

http://www.whatever.com/logaholic/update.php?conf=Profilename&lgpkey=[md5 of username]:[md5 of password]&reset=1

Please note you have to fill in the bold parts with your own data.

So, your cronjob command (for linux) will look something like this:

wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.example.com/logaholic/update.php?conf=profilename&lpgkey=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e:d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&reset=1

Should you need any more help visit the cronjob page on http://www.logaholic.com/manual/LogaholicManual/AutomatingUpdates.

 

My username is stored as plain text, not md5 hash, so the above cronjob didn't work.
You can encrypt your username and password on the website below (there are many other online tools to do this), you could create a PHP script that does it for you. http://www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php This should be a one time action, so you just have to do this once. We're currently working on a fix for avoiding signing in when running a cronjob, although I can't say when this is finished. In the meantime, just try the above.
My password was already stored as md5, but when I created/used one for the username, authorization was denied. As well, I could no longer log into my Logaholic acct., so changed back to plain text in the database. OK, just have to put Logaholic on the back burner for now. Thank you for your help!
Finally found the solution. I just set up a php cron per manual, without username/password & it worked. Output (last couple lines): "Summary update took 0 seconds, total script time took 0 seconds.Added 41 records to database. Processed an actual total of 181 log lines." Checked the database before/after, yes, had more entries. Don't know why cron with wget hung, but now all is good. I'm a happy Logaholic camper again!
The information on this page relates to older Logaholic versions (prior to Logaholic 6) and may be outdated.